Taking an idea from Bill Gates. Books I read in 2015.
- Devil in the White City - Erik Larson. Best book I’ve read in years. I enjoyed the history & Culture of the Chicago world’s fair more than the parts about the serial killer.
- Doc - Mary Doria Russell. Excellent book about Doc Holliday & Wyatt Earp’s days in Dodge City.
- Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games - Tobias Moskowitz & L. Jon Wertheim. Here is a NPR story about the book.
- How to Be Your Dog’s Best Friend - The Monks of New Skeet
- Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk - Ben Fountain. Update: Its now a movie with Steve Martin.
- The Martian - Andy Weir. Who hasn’t read this?
- Ruby on Rails Guide - Various.
- The Hemmingway Hoax - Joe Halderman
- The Thinker’s Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving - Morgan D. Jones. This was required reading in my old Infomatics 101 course. It was definetly worth revisting.
- Seven Eves - Neal Stephenson. NPR Review. Long & the ‘twist’ was easy to to see coming. Update: Bill Gates liked it more than I did.
- 11/2/63 - Stephen King. Way too long.
- Dune - Frank Herbert.
- The Basics of Web Hacking - Josh Pauli
- Galapogos Incident - Felix R Savage
- Preacher Book One - Gareth Ennis
- Comeback - Dennis Conner. The backstory on the America’s Cup was excellent.
- The Transhumaist Wager - Zoltan Istvan. I hate not finishing books but was glad to put this down.